135 YEARS OF TEXTILE TRADITION
The history of "Polontex" S.A. is related to the development of textile industry in the city of Częstochowa, which has become an important center of the textile trade.
So the journey begins …
In the village of Ostatni Grosz, Władysław Edward Kronenberg, begins the construction of the linen factory "Błeszno",
Karol Ditrich purchases, develops and transforms it into the yarn and jute fabric factory.
The number of employees at the time reaches 980 people. The factory becomes part of the Society of Żyrardowski Manufacturers "Hielle-Dittrich"
The factory is purchased by the French public limited company Societe Textile "La Czenstochovienne" (Towarzystwo Przędzalnicze "Częstochowianka") based in Roubaix, with 3,200 spindles and 160 weaving looms
The factory is expanded and cotton plants are opened with 35,000 spindles, 225 looms, dying and finishing house
The company builds a cotton spinning mill with 36,000 spindles and a weaving mill
1912 - 1914
The factory employs 6,000 workers, owns 550 looms, 92,000 spindles, mechanical workshops, warehouses for raw materials and technical articles, three boiler rooms with 17 boilers, own power plant, four steam machines with a power of 3,500 HP, two turbines with a power of 6,000 HP, five houses for clerks and 10 houses for workers. It is by far the largest in the city and one of the largest factories in Congress Poland.
1914 - 1918
World War I - the factory is immobilized
The factory is leased to the Joint Stock Company "Societe Fermiere de La Czenstochovienne"
1926 - 1929
The factory employs 6,000 workers, 70% of whom are women
1930 - 1939
"Societe Textile La Czenstochovienne" gains ownership of the company employing 1439 people
1939 - 1945
The period of occupation, the factory is under German receivership. In addition to jute and cotton products, the production of paper products is introduced. The General Governement and the German Reich become the main trading market, and the most important recipients are the army and the Agricultural Headquarters.
Liberation of Czestochowa on January 16, 1945. The company launches the first looms and spinning machines in February
As a result of the merger of "Societe Textile la Czenstochowienne", Textile factory A. Herman and Cotton Spinning , Weaving and Bleaching Assosiation in Zawiercie, the State Plant of the Cotton Industry in Częstochowa is established, thus the factory is nationalized.
1952 - 1967
Suspension of the production of jute products. From now on, only the processing of cotton and cotton-like fibers is handled. The modernization of the spinning mill and weaving house is carried out, which contributes to the introduction of cotton blends with artificial fibers.
The plant takes the name "Częstochowskie Zakłady Przemysłu Bawełnianego CEBA im. Z. Modzelewski." Machines purchased in the USSR are imported to "Ceba" . "The company produces cotton yarn and cotton fabrics – both raw and finished.
1981 - 1982
modernization of the spinning house is carried out: two scutching mills, new carding machines, spinning machines and stretchers are installed
The economic and political changes of 1989 cause the breakdown of the existing cooperation ties with the countries of the former Comecon and the USSR, which leads to a dramatic reduction of production and loss of the financial balance of the company, and consequently to bankruptcy
1990 – till now
Polontex is established. After purchasing the production sites of CEBA , a number of renovation and investment activities are undertaken, the main goal is to continue the 130-year tradition of the textile industry in Częstochowa